Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cloth Wipes and Wipe Spray


I sometimes like to surprise people with some cloth wipes with their order, nothing too big just wipes that can be used for the smaller messes.  I know not everyone who cloth diapers uses them though, some like me have found the convenience in cloth wipes when you cloth diaper and some still think that..


Cloth wipes are scary!!!


Let me assure you they're not so bad.  When I first started cloth diapering, I still used regular wipes but it was kind of gross that I had to set them aside to dispose of them because I could not longer throw them inside the diaper (which technically you're not supposed to) when I used disposables.   I realized if I used cloth wipes I could wipe baby's bottom, and throw the wipe inside the diaper and throw in the pail all together.  I cut up some receiving blankets, hemmed them and used a spray bottle with water.  It worked well, but then I learned how to make my own wipe solution and it became a cool experiment so to speak.

Off I went to google about cloth wipes and solutions and I found a site "Zany Zebra" that has a very nice tutorial on how to make your own wipe solution.  They start off by telling you what commonly goes into a solution:

Common Cloth Wipe Solution Recipe Ingredients:

Most cloth wipe solution recipes contain similar main ingredients, which are used for the same reason in each recipe. These are the common ingredients and why they're included:
  • Oil: Helps the wipe glide across baby's skin and keeps skin soft
  • Soap: Cleanses by removing all traces of urine and feces
  • EO: (Essential Oil) Added for antibacterial and/or aromatherapy purposes.
  • Water: The main ingredient in each recipe, cleanses the diaper area and dilutes the other ingredients
The type and amounts of oil, soap, EO and water that goes into a recipe is what gives each cloth wipe solution its own distinct "personality". Have fun trying different recipes until you find the ones that you like best! More information about essential oils can be found at Bath Heaven, Aroma Web, A World of Aromatherapy and other great sites on the Web.
And then they give you some recipes I highly recommend checking them out! ..

I used a simple one, 

For the Oil  and essential Oil I used "tea tree"  It has antibacterial properties and smells very "clean"
For the Soap I used  my regular Baby soap.
For Water I used Chamomile tea

I put it on in a bottle and I would either spray the wipe before cleaning my baby's bottom or I would spray directly onto baby and then wipe depending on the mess.   Some people prefer the wet method where they place their wipes inside a wipe warmer and pour the solution directly on them.


This method of making my own wipe solution was fun but sometimes I would find myself with no more solution and no energy to make more until I tried "Blissful Booty's wipe water concentrate"  First of that stuff lasts forever!!!! you only put a TEASPOON inside a pray bottle with water and you have yourself a fresh batch of solution.  They also have  pretty spray bottles in all sizes including a convenient and slim one for your diaper bag, and all these yummy scents.. Lavender Vanilla,






So Don't be afraid to make the switch to cloth wipes! you might find soon turning your noses up at those silly thin disposable wipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment